“Music is energy, music is fuel, music is motivation.”
– Michael D’Aulerio
The benefits of listening to music while working out are undeniable. From elevating one’s mood and enhancing endurance to taking one’s mind off fatigue and pain; music is known to take people farther than they would go without it.
If you are anything like us, which we’re assuming you are if you got here through the article’s title, you prefer using headphones over connecting to a speaker or listening to the random playlist of your gym. That being the case, we all know that not all headphones and earbuds are suitable for use during a workout, so which ones should you go for?
Well to answer that, we will be looking at a few qualities to consider when choosing your workout headphones or earbuds and going over the 6 best workout headphones with us.
Who Should Buy Workout Headphones & Earbuds?
With so many options to choose from, figuring out the difference between a regular pair of headphones or earbuds and those suited for workouts can become mind-boggling.
We thought we’d simplify the issue for you. You should get workout headphones & earbuds if you consider yourself among the following:
- Those who wish to listen to music or podcasts while exercising
- Those who require headphones that prioritize comfort and durability
- Those who want to stay in the mood with their favorite music while blocking out the noise of a busy gym or household.
What You Should Know About The Best Workout Headphones
When picking the best headphones and earbuds for working out, here are a couple of things you should know as well as keep in mind.
A major chunk of the cost for workout headphones and earbuds is for their durability since you need something that can withstand constant wear and tear. This also deals with the concern that people have for making a heavy investment in them since many are doubtful of the durability of their Bluetooth headphones and earbuds. Hence, it is important to keep the purpose of use in mind and make your decision accordingly.
Sweating is a given for any good workout and therefore, you need something that will not be easily damaged by your sweat and would preferably have a high water-resistance rating for sweat damage to not be a constant concern.
The bare minimum is that the battery should last throughout your workout session. However, a good battery life means getting in a few workouts without having to charge them every day or after every session in case you forget or simply don’t get the chance to charge them.
Comfort is one of the most important features of a good workout headphone or earbuds. You need something that you neither have to constantly adjust nor is uncomfortable to wear for extended time periods.
The active noise cancellation or noise reduction should be enough to keep you in your “zone” but also have some transparency element for when you need to be aware of your surroundings.
The 6 Best Workout Headphones and Earbuds
Having discussed some of the important attributes of a good workout headphone or earbud, let’s look at our top 6 picks for your workout companion.
1. Beats Fit Pro
Let’s start with the Beats Fit Pro. Equipped with the Apple H1 Headphone chip, they have been dubbed by some as the “sports AirPods you always wanted”.
- The Beats Fit Pro have an IPX4 rating, meaning they are splash-proof
- They are compatible with Android and Apple both
- They have a listening time of up to 6 hours; 24 hours with the charging case
- They support Spatial Audio along with head tracking. This means that you get a fully immersive experience with movies, music, and gaming.
- Features Active Noise Canceling Mode in addition to Transparency, and Adaptive EQ mode.
- The Ear Tip Fit test for these is considered unreliable when put in comparison with the Airpod Pro
- The Android app has limited features compared to the IOS version
Nevertheless, Beats and Apple have made quite the progress with the Beats Fit Pro, which fits comfortably and offers a great bass-boosted sound. The Beats Fit Pro have most of the capabilities of the AirPods Pro, including active noise cancellation, spatial audio, and Adaptive EQ, in contrast to Beats’ older and less-priced Studio Buds.
It’s remarkable how effectively the automatic play/pause function works, and athletes with short attention spans will appreciate the rapid charging. This set of Beats will make everyone who desires a nice pair of little earphones very happy. Declared one of the best earbuds for working out, the Beats Fit Pro can even outperform the AirPods Pro, according to some users.Buy On Amazon
2. Plantronics BackBeat FIT 6100
For those of you who prefer headphones over earbuds, we will be looking at the Plantronics BackBeat FIT 6100 next. With a focus on comfort, these headphones are claimed to be a game-changing workout headphone experience by some people online.
- They have a 24-hour battery life and can provide up to an hour of listening time on a 15-minute charge.
- You can also use the provided micro USB-to-3.5mm cable if you want to switch to wired listening.
- The headband adjustment model means you can tighten or loosen it as per your requirement; get a good grip during a heavy workout and then loosen it for greater comfort.
- It has an IPX5 water-resistance rating which is the highest on this list.
- It supports Bluetooth multipoint; you can connect up to two devices simultaneously.
- It still comes with micro USB charging instead of the more common USB-C charging
- They are not the best option for more professional calls
The degree of comfort and versatility that the Plantronics BackBeat Fit 6100 offer is hard to find in any other pair of exercise headphones at this price. In addition to providing increased grip when exercising, their special sport-fit headband gives maximum flexibility and an ultra-stable fit throughout intense exercise.
Not only can the IPX5-rated BackBeat Fit 6100 wireless headphones resist wetness and spillage but they also provide a battery life of up to 24 hours on a single charge and a 15-minute rapid charge that delivers up to one hour of power.
Last but not least, their Sound Mix function blends Awareness mode with Sound Mix to produce the ideal fusion of your environment and music. Using a pair of these over-ear wireless headphones, you can converse with your running buddy in between sets when jogging outdoors as well as stay attentive to your surroundings.Buy On Amazon
3. Apple AirPods Pro
Next, let’s have another workout earbuds contender; the Apple AirPods Pro. These are one of the best earbuds for exercising, especially if you’ve got an iPhone.
- They feature transparency mode as well as Active Noise Cancellation
- They also provide customizable fit through three different sizes for the silicone tips
- They also have an IPX4 water-resistance rating
- Immersive Sound
- The Adaptive EQ feature is also available in the AirPods Pro
- Battery life without the case is around 4.5 hours which might be a downside for many users
- The fast pairing feature might not work with Android devices
Unlike the initial AirPods, the new Airpods Pro offer an additional degree of security in terms of sweat and water resistance. The accompanying ear tips also significantly improve comfort and sound quality, preserving a snug, comfortable fit and enhancing clarity by blocking out background noise.
On that note, the AirPods Pro feature excellent active noise cancellation. Whether at the gym or when speed-walking through your neighbourhood, you’ll be able to block out any distracting outside noises. For outdoor runners who want to hear their surroundings more precisely without interrupting their music, there is also a Transparency Mode.
These are one of the finest exercise headphones for iOS smartphones because of the improved controls, hands-free “Siri” function, and unique improvements like Spatial Sounds to experience theatrical-like audio when binge-watching Netflix episodes on the Peloton.Buy On Amazon
4. TREBLAB Z2
Next up we have the Treblab Z2, another workout headphone option.
- They provide a battery life of up to 35 hours
- The Treblab Z2 also has the Active Noise Cancellation Mode
- They come with a 1-year warranty
- They have a 33-feet signal range which is quite decent in our opinion
- Just like most of the models in this list, they also have an IPX4 water-resistance rating
- They weigh around 8.5 ounces so might be “heavy” for some users
- The ear cup design may prove to be uncomfortable for some people over extended use
5. JLab Epic Air Sport ANC
- The Epic Air Sport ANC come with an IP66 water-resistance rating
- They offer a 10-hour listening time on a single charge (55 hours with the case)
- These workout earbuds come with six sets of ear tips
- They’ve got excellent features all around
- They offer a built-in setting to minimize audio latency when watching movies
- They provide Active noise cancellation
- They don’t include any quick-charge feature
The JLab Epic Air Sport earphones are extremely cost-effective and are indeed one of the best workout earbuds if you’re on a budget.
They give more than 10 hours of entertainment on a single charge and an extra 55+ hours with the charging case. They are also water- and sweat-resistant with an IP66 rating. You may recharge them using any wireless charging pad or the USB-A connector on your device.
Along with active noise cancellation, there is also a low-latency “movie mode” that minimises audio delay and a sensor that turns off the audio when you take the earbuds out of your ears.
An astonishing six sets of ear tips are included in the kit for a personalised fit. The lack of a quick-charge capability is a downside, although it may not be significant given the price.Buy On Amazon
6. Soundcore Sport X10
- The Soundcore Sport X10 offer up to 32 hours of Playtime
- They feature comfortable, rotatable ear hooks
- They also have an impressive IPX7 water-resistance rating
- They provide a personalized app experience
- They deliver a dynamic acoustic system with 2x more bass
- They provide average active noise cancellation
The last in the series is the Soundcore Sport X10. These workout headphones sound fantastic with strong, snappy bass and decent detail
The Soundcore Sport X10 feature an intriguing design, with rotatable ear hooks that flap upward while you’re using them and then drop down if you need to store them in their charging case. These also have a smaller footprint than many earbuds with ear hooks.
Additionally, they include active noise cancellation, which works well but isn’t as excellent as other competitors’. Plus, they have an IPX7 certification, which allows them to be immersed completely for 30 minutes in water up to 3 feet deep. Up to 8 hours of battery life are expected after three further recharges in the charging case.Buy On Amazon
Headphones or Earbuds For Gym – Which Are Better?
A lightweight, unobtrusive set of in-ear buds will often be beneficial for people engaging in more cardio-focused activities, such as jogging.
Meanwhile, people who are interested in strength training and perhaps other related activities may like a set of classic over-the-ear headphones.
These are our picks for the top 6 workout headphones and earbuds at the moment. All of them focus on comfort and durability while providing a decent battery time as well as some level of water and sweat resistance.
Let us know if you have tried any of these or if you have another preference for your workout music companion.